The Government of INDIA has made it a mandate to link your PAN card to your Aadhaar card. In case you do not link your PAN with your Aadhaar, then your PAN will become ‘inoperative’.
In order to do the linking, your ‘name’, ‘gender’ and ‘date of birth’ should match in both the documents else you can get them rectified before linking. However, in case of minor mismatch of name, you will get One Time Password (Aadhaar OTP) on your mobile registered with Aadhaar.
You can link your PAN card to your Aadhaar:
- Through income tax e-filing website
- By sending a SMS to either 567678 or 56161
How to link PAN card to Aadhaar card through income tax e-filing website
You can visit the INDIA income tax e-filing portal https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ and then proceed to link the PAN card to Aadhaar card as a guest user or as a registered user. Let’s go through both of these procedures.
a) As a guest user (without logging)
On the left hand side of the income tax e-filing website, you will see a section “Quick Links”.
The first link in this sections says “Link Aadhaar”, click the link.
This will take you to https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/LinkAadhaarHome.html?lang=eng and display the following form. You can even visit this page directly by entering the URL in browser.
- Enter PAN number, Aadhar number and name as you see in your Aadhaar card in the respective form fields.
- If you have only year of birth mentioned in your Aadhaar card then check the checkbox against “I have only year of birth in Aadhaar Card”.
- Give your consent to validate your Aadhaar details by clicking the checkbox “I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI”. This is mandatory.
- Enter the text you see in image in the text box against the label “Enter the code as in the above image”.
- Click the “Link Aadhaar” button and you are done.
- Successful submission of the form will display a message saying that your PAN is successfully linked to Aadhaar and you can verify it after some time.
The “Link Aadhar” form has a link [https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/AadhaarPreloginStatus.html] at the top which you can use to verify the linking status of your PAN and Aadhar.
In case of a minor mismatch in Aadhaar name provided, an OTP will be send to your registered Aadhaar mobile number for you to verify.
Please ensure that the date of birth and gender in PAN and Aadhaar are exactly same.
b) As a registered user (with login)
If you ever have filed your income tax online then you would have already registered for an account and may have already linked your PAN to Aadhaar.
If not, visit the income tax e-filing website https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ and register for an account and login. You can find the registration and login links on the right hand site.
After login you may see a popup prompting you to link your PAN to your Aadhaar card.
If you do not get a popup, then in the top navigation menu, find “Profile Settings” and click on “Link Aadhaar” link.
If your PAN and Aadhaar are already linked then you will get a message for it else a form will display with details prefilled like ‘name’, ‘date of birth’ and ‘gender’.
How to link PAN card to Aadhaar card by Sending a SMS
You can link your PAN and Aadhaar by sending a simple SMS to either of the PAN service providers namely NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited or UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited (UTIITL).
- Compose a sms in the format: UIDPAN <12 digit Aadhaar> <10 digit PAN>
- Send the message to either 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number
- For example, if your Aadhaar number is 987654321098 and your PAN is ABCDE5432Z, type UIDPAN 987654321098 ABCDE5432Z and send the sms to either 567678 or 56161